Dear
Parents,
This has
been a fantastic week in Grade 1SL. As the first quarter continues, I begin to
see significant progress from all students.They are working hard, and I
have noticed their positive attitude towards learning and willingness to work
harder.
As their
English is now at a level where we can discuss a variety of issues, there are
several, real-life skills I believe to be important to their education. I would
like to spend more time working on their social skills and how to live
harmoniously within the society they find themselves in. Ideas like respect,
responsibility, trust, being fair and appreciation
are a few I would like to focus on in the upcoming weeks. We also need to
spend time on building each student’s confidence in the classroom environment
as well as outside the classroom.
We will
continue to look for interesting ways to expand their knowledge and view on the
world.
Literacy: Stories: Animals
in the Cold, Seasons and Ha! Ha! Ha! The students are able to read the
stories together, and respond to the stories by answering the Response
Questions. The students learned about NOUNS, and we focussed on plural nouns
ending in -s and, SPECIAL Nouns, like Peter, Ann and Dan..
Math: The students had to find the
missing parts of ten, and use a table to solve problems. In the new topic, they
started to count, adding 0,1,2, starting with the greater number.
Science:
Students got
to classify animals in ways which they are alike. We have learned new
vocabulary: reptiles, amphibians and mammals.
Social
Studies:
We have
learned about Land and Water. We focussed on the following: mountains, hills,
valleys, plains, lakes, rivers and oceans.
Art: The students enjoyed doing
Halloween correlated art. We made pumpkins with construction paper, using the
mirror method, doing opposite colors with black and orange.
Overall, I
am filled with pride when I see just how much the students have progressed in
these past two months. Thank you for all the hard work that you do with your
child. It really shows.
Have a
blessed weekend.
See you on
the 29th for our Halloween Celebrations!
Mrs.
Slabbert
Homework:
Reading: Read for 15 minutes
Math: Lesson 6-2
Grammar: Nouns p.25
** We will not have a Spelling List for next week. We will review all the stories in the green Reading book, and do FALL and Halloween related stories.
** The students need to wear their costumes to school on the 29th. All the parents are welcome to join the parade and performances. It will start at 9am.
******
No comments:
Post a Comment